March 5, 2009

Long Lost (Crazy) Relative

I have this cousin who lived in the same country with me till she was about 6. From then on she lived in the US and her and I never really had any conversations. I heard about her through the grapevine (she got knocked up and had a baby when she was 17) and I am sure she heard things about me as well. Suffice to say we were not very close in comparison with the rest of the cousins we have in common. She recently found me via Facebook a week or so ago and has been inundating all my pictures with "I love you. Miss you prima" all over the place. If I had a wall she'd be plastering it with questions and I love and miss you's.

I told my mom about her behavior and my mom mentioned that she (my cousin) was bipolar or something along the lines of it. She's been plastering the walls of all the cousins as well. Why do we feel that we're blood related we must be so wishy washy and I love you and touchy feely? We definitely wouldn't act that way with strangers, but we feel it's ok with family members we haven't seen in years?

Maybe I am just not the touchy feely with strangers regardless of their blood relations-type. I kind of just pity her. I mean, she's gained a bunch of weight, is kind of loony, is the babymama of a 7 year kid, lives off of food stamps, and is on a billion different meds. How else am i supposed to feel? Facebook is probably her fantasy getaway.

No comments: